Thursday, May 6, 2010

BROADWAY

Just recently, I've had the pleasure of attending an introduction to theater workshop where they introduces us to the many plays that were being shown on Broadway. There were a few Broadway plays that stood out to me and that I believe I would enjoy if ever I was granted the opportunity to see them. In this Blog I will tell you how to get tickets for a Broadway performance, what plays are showing on Broadway and last, what I find to be the hottest shows and why I believe so.

Tickets for Broadway shows can be purchased in numerous ways. You can purchase tickets online at discounted prices, you can order them directly from ticket masters, or if you are in the New York City area you can purchase them the same day from the TKTS Discount at reasonably lowered prices that sometimes lead to 50% in savings. Tickets can be very pricey so it is important that you shop around for good deal before making your purchase. As a student there are a lot more resources out there to help us save money on these performances. Groups of students can usually get discounted rates for their party or student discounts may be applied with the presentation of a school idea. Getting the tickets to the performance is the first step in making the viewing of a Broadway production possible.

Some of the performance I would like to see include; "Aida", starring Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child, "The Color Purple", starring Fantasia Barrino and of course the performance based of legendary activist and Musician Fela Kuti, "Fela". I have seen Fela Recently and would not mind watching the performance again. I have selected each of these plays because besides the fact that I feel they would be they entertaining, they each share a great deal of history based on the evolution of the African culture. Aida is a love story based on a princess who was enslaved by an Egyptian Army man that later on fell in love with her. The Color Purple produced by Steven Spielberg, tells the story of a woman in a similar situation to that of Aida though the endings differ a bit. Fela! As I explained in the Broadway review derived from the storyline of an artist who experienced a great deal of struggle and turmoil. He mustered all of his experiences and triumphs and delivered his political and personal messages through his afro beat music.

Each of these plays have an amazing storyline and the stage set up and design, from what I see in pictures are very creative and inspiring. Next I plan to see Disney's "the Lion King" on Broadway, which I heard about from some friends, is said to be the hottest movie on Broadway and is a must see classic . I am not a huge fan of Walt Disney films but, Lion king was always one of my favorite Disney Films and TV shows. I Think this film is the hottest show on Broadway because I think it would be funny, have good music and incorporate the traditional African dances which I enjoy watching. This film is also interesting, in particular because I have heard that the storyline is not as trivial as we grew up to believe. The lion king is said to actually be based on biblical stories of Joseph and Moses as well as a sample of William Shakespeare's "Hamlet". I do not how accurate that rumor is, but it is enough to make me believe this show is the hottest show on Broadway! Overall the Broadway experience us one that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment