Friday, May 7, 2010

Design a Set










The first step in designing a play is to read and fully understand the play so you can create scenery that compliments the play. The play I decided to read was The Lion King. I chose to read portions of this play and design scenery for it because it leaves a lot of space for imagination. I also read interviews from the director Julie Taymor to see what he was thinking about when they were directing the play.
The next thing I decided to do is think about if I was in the audience what would I want to look at. I would not want to look at anything boring or dull so I chose colors that resemble the jungle or wild areas of the African continent. I wanted the background to consist of the colors orange, red, yellow, blue and green. These colors are one that I believe are natural colors and colors that a person visiting African will see in the environment.
The set will not change from scene to scene so this set up will be the only one in the performance. I want the background to consist of images of the lion king logo, which can be seen below, trees, rocks, grass, and a sun. Below you will find images of what I would hope to include in my set. I want to make the stage set flexible so a lot of moving can occur so everything I plan on doing will be placed against or far away from the center stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment