Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Write a play

Daniel: I am just one semester away from graduation and I have yet to find a home
Juan: hey it's going to be ok, momma used to say that "God will make a Way"
Daniel: Maybe you're right but this car is no place to raise you Juan
Juan: just focus on getting you're degree, I'm proud of you and momma would be too if she was still here (sighs)
Daniel: Cool, are you going to be alright while I head out?
Juan: I'm grown ill be just fine go on!!
Daniel: Alright I'll be back later, make sure you finish you're food before you go to sleep tonight
Juan: How many times are you going to tell me that?? Just go
Daniel: Alright Alright!
Daniel: (at the poetry club) "I called this poem the little girl in me, who will cry for the girl who has never had her own? Who will cry for the girl who feels defeated, beaten and internally bruised? Who will cry for the woman I was forced to become? Who will cry for the girl who fought but never won? I want this girl to live and not die, for she deserves a chance a chance to give life another try..Thank you!
(claps)
Speaker: lets hear it for the beautiful Daniel audience (audience continues to clap)
Daniel: Dear Diary today I had lunch with my best friend. We have been best friends since freshmen year and now we are both juniors. I feel bad because she still does not know where I live and I would hate to burden her with my struggles. I mean that's my friend but no one cares about poor little me n my hungry sister. Ok goodnight!
Marsha: hey you ready for class?
Daniel: yea I guess
Marsha: what's wrong?
Daniel: oh nothing just a little tired I had a long night tonight
Marsha: well what happened? I would've told you to come over but you never call me like you say you will
Daniel: yea I have to pay my phone bill later
Marsha: yea yea yea I've heard it all. Well just come over tonight n we can have a girls night in
Daniel: sorry I have to pick up Juan from school and help him with his homework. Tonight’s not good maybe tomorrow ok?
Marsha: ok I guess. Well call me when your "phone bill is paid"
Daniel: yea later
Daniel: dear Diary, I can’t tell my best friend about my poetry gig because if I do she'll want to come over afterwards and unfortunately my car is only fit for two.
Juan: hey how was school D?
Daniel: it was cool no complaints and you? How are your grades looking?
Juan: ok, I guess
Daniel: just ok? If you want to get out this car "ok" is not an option. Mother would not want us kiving in a car!
Juan: I understand, but sometimes I feel like giving up.
Daniel: No we can’t give up.
Juan: well I’ll try
Daniel: well I’m getting ready to go to the poetry lounge to perform again.
Juan: ok I guess
Daniel: anyway mother would be proud of you Juan.
Juan: Would she?
Daniel: yes we have not given up and I am so close to graduation. I can get a real job and find us a place to live kiddo
Juan: Sounds good Sis.
(Daniel enters the poetry lounge and performs her newest poems about her situation)
Daniel: (after performance) thank you thank you very much everyone!
Marsha: Daniel????
Daniel: what you doing here?
Marsha: I came here with some friends. You never told me you were a poet, and was that a personal story
Daniel: ……………I was just here to share one poem for the night but I don't usually come here
(Realizing that Daniel is obviously lying Marsh confronts her about her situation)
Marsha: ok Daniel, Honestly I followed you from your car and I saw your brother sleeping in it, are you moving or something?
Daniel: um yea I-I-I-I-I am moving soon ( she says in a stuttering manner)
Marsha: Juan told me you guys are homeless, is that true?
Daniel: (steps outside) yes….
Marsha: (eyes watering) Daniel how long have you guys been like this. I’m so sorry but you should've told me
Daniel: For what you guys can’t help us nobody can, it’s always been me and Juan since our mom died, and we’ll make it.
Marsha: yea but you guys can't live like this forever
Daniel: we're going to be alright
Marsha: I wont be able to sleep knowing you guys are on the streets homeless
Daniel: we'll be fine, If you can’t sleep use the time to study, last thing I need is a hand out.
(Daniel let’s her pride get in the way of a good thing and she walks off into the dark.)
Juan: did anything interesting happen today sis? (implying that he told people about the situation)
Daniel: yea some big mouthed kid is telling people we’re homeless
Juan: yes I told everyone, because e its been 4 months and I refuse to spend my high school years living in a car
Daniel: Your ungrateful! You should appreciate everything I have done for us.
Juan: all you have done for us is keep us in this car and refuse help every time it is offered. I can’t live like this I’m gone
Daniel: I knew this would happen, I guess its just me and my poetry
(Daniel begins to cry as she wonders why she refuse help from everyone, her pride has left her homeless and now lonely, Juan walks off)
Daniel: Dear Diary…….. it’s just me and you.
(Juan returns a hour later with a few workers from a local shelter)
Juan: They’re here to help us.
Daniel: Help, yes Help…. I could use some Help

No comments:

Post a Comment